WAREHAM — Wareham Police have released more information on Friday morning’s capture of fugitive Anthony Vieira as well as the three other people arrested as a result.

At 2:54 a.m., Wareham Police received a call for an alarm at Aaron Marks Jewelry located at 3203 Cranberry Highway. Upon arrival, officers observed smashed-out glass indicating a break and entry.  Officers under the command of Sgt. Daniel Henderson set up a perimeter after determining that the suspect was no longer in the building. The Plymouth County Sheriff’s Department responded with K-9 deputies, and the Bourne Police also assisted in locking the area down.

Within 20 minutes, Officer Aaron Pacheco was on Cahoon Road and observed a male subject running down the road. Officer Pacheco recognized the male as Anthony Vieira, a wanted fugitive, and ordered him down. Vieira initially complied and dropped to the ground. As Officer Pacheco approached and tried to handcuff him, he was having difficulty due to Vieira wearing multiple watches on his wrist. Without warning, Vieira spun around, knocking Officer Pacheco off balance, sprung to his feet and began running. Officer Pacheco deployed a Taser, which had little effect on Vieira and, although injured, began a foot pursuit with the suspect; however, Vieira was able to escape.

Courtesy Wareham Police

Wareham Police Detectives Lt. Walter Correia and Acting Chief John Walcek also responded joining in the search for the suspect. Multiple locations in Wareham were checked after it was determined the suspect had been at the Cumberland Farms on Depot Street at 4:00 a.m. Later, at 5:00 a.m., the 7-11 store at 3 Barker Road was found to have been broken into by a suspect wearing the same clothing as Vieira. That break was determined to have occurred at 12:30 a.m.

At about 7:00 a.m., several officers responded to 227 Charge Pond Road, at the direction of members of the Detective Division, as they believed it was a possible residence where the suspect could be located. After the exterior of the home was secured, officers were permitted entrance to the home where the suspect was located hiding in the basement. A violent scuffle ensued with Vieira, in which Officer Ryan Turner was kicked and punches were directed at Officer Christopher Corner during the fracas. Vieira was finally taken to the ground after other officers moved in to assist.

In addition to Vieira, three other individuals were placed under arrest at the home, charged with accessory after the fact of a felony, and misleading a police investigation:

Courtesy Wareham Police

--Samantha Bergeron, 25, of 227 Charge Pond Road

Briana Raponi/Courtesy Wareham Police

--Briana Raponi, 32, of no certain address

Courtesy Wareham Police

--Marcus Agee, 25, of 13 Bisbee Street West Wareham

Vieira remained combative at the police station, threatening officers. He was transported to Tobey Hospital for treatment of a wound he received while scaling a barbed wire fence.

Vieira is facing the following new charges in addition to his multiple arrest warrants.

  • Breaking and entering (two counts)
  • Larceny from a building over $1,200
  • Larceny from a building under $1,200
  • Malicious destruction of property (two counts)
  • Resisting arrest (two counts)
  • Assault and battery on a police officer (two counts)
  • Threat to commit a crime

Officer Pacheco was treated and released from Tobey Hospital but remains out of work due to his injury.

Detectives obtained a search warrant for 227 Charge Pond Road and took control of stolen items, along with other pieces of evidence.

“Over the last several days all Wareham Police Officers were actively searching for Mr. Vieira and knew that he would not be taken without a fight. The detectives and patrol officers who were involved in this incident did a tremendous job and I am very proud of them.” Acting Chief Walcek said. “The assistance from the Plymouth County Sheriff’s and the Bourne Police was invaluable and we are grateful for their expert assistance.”

--Wareham Police