WAREHAM — A Plymouth man is arrested after allegedly assaulting multiple police officers in Wareham.

On Tuesday, December 3 at 4:52 a.m., Wareham Police responded to Tobey Hospital for a male causing a disturbance in the emergency room. Officers Jennifer Braley and Kyle Gomes responded and found a male being unruly and threatening staff members. When the two officers attempted to assist hospital personnel, the man kicked Officer Braley twice. The officers subdued the man even though he was violently resisting arrest. 

At the police station, the man remained combative and assaultive during the booking process. As a result of violent actions on the part of the man, officers were forced to enter his cell several different times. The man spat at Sergeant Herbert Noble, punched him the face with a closed fist, kicked him, kneed him in the chest, and ripped equipment from his uniform, before Noble used pepper spray to subdue the male temporarily. In addition, several other officers became physically involved with the man as he continued his tirade. Officers Susan Kucincki, Robert McLain, and Detective Sergeant Michael Smith, along with Communication Officers Nicolle Amaral and Christian Tobia, assisted in several of the skirmishes. 

Later, at about 10:30 a.m. Sergeant Daniel Flaherty and Officer Zina Kelsch attempted to remove the man from his cell to be brought to court. The man hurled expletives at the two officers, saying he was not going anywhere, challenging the officers to a fight. When the cell door opened, he took a fighting stance with clenched fists. Although Sergeant Flaherty utilized his Taser, the man ripped the wire out of his chest. The man then lunged forward and grabbed the Taser with both hands trying to wrestle it from Sergeant Flaherty. The sergeant and Officer Kelsch were now joined by Acting Chief John Walcek and Lieutenant Walter Correia, who assisted in the scuffle. During this struggle, Sergeant Flaherty was punched and kicked by the man several times before the man was subdued by the four officers. 

Officer Calib Larue arrived at the station and was kicked by the man while he was being placed in the cruiser. During the scuffle at the police car, the man received a minor injury and was transported to Tobey Hospital with multiple police officers. He was treated and released, then brought to Wareham District Court.

Paul Hachey, 41, of Plymouth, is charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, resisting arrest, threat to commit a crime, and nine counts of assault and battery on a police officer.

Sergeant Noble and Officer Braley received minor injuries during the scuffles; however, neither sought medical treatment at this time.

— Wareham Police

Enter your number to get our free mobile app

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420