WAREHAM — An East Wareham man faces a host of charges of allegedly stealing a car, becoming combative with arresting officers and then being recognized as the suspect in a previous shoplifting incident.

On Friday, November 8 at 10:40 a.m., Wareham Police received a call reporting a vehicle had just been stolen from Chuck's Auto at 281 Onset Avenue. The owner of the car had observed an unknown male get into his vehicle and drive out of the lot.

The victim and another male followed the stolen vehicle on Onset Avenue and then onto Depot Street. On Depot Street they pulled beside the stolen vehicle and told the man to stop running. It was reported that the suspect proceeded to make an obscene gesture at the victim and drive off. The vehicle ended up traveling on Route 25, then Route 195, and eventually Cranberry Highway, where police intercepted the car.

Officer Calib Larue activated his emergency lights and siren; however, the vehicle sped up and crossed the center line forcing oncoming cars to swerve out of the way. The vehicle was abandoned in the area of West Wareham Dunkin' on Cranberry Highway, where the male fled on foot.

A witness told Officer Larue that the suspect was making his way toward Cumberland Farms, where he was apprehended within a few minutes. Assisting Officer Larue in the arrest were Officer Aaron Pacheco, Sergeant Daniel Flaherty, Acting Chief John Walcek, and two detectives.

Courtesy Wareham Police
Courtesy Wareham Police

Stephan Myers, 33, of East Wareham, was transported to Wareham Police headquarters where he was processed and then later taken to Tobey Hospital for an evaluation.

When he was cleared by medical staff to return to the police station, he became very combative. He told Officers Pacheco and Larue, “We are doing this the hard way,” forcing the officers, with the assistance of security staff, to physically remove him from the building as the result of his belligerence. Multiple other police officers were dispatched to the hospital; however, Myers was secured in a police car before their arrival.

Later in the afternoon, he was transported by Wareham Police to the Plymouth County House of Correction. He is being held without bail pending an appearance in Wareham District Court on Tuesday.

Myers faces charges of larceny of a motor vehicle; failure to stop for police; reckless operation of a motor vehicle; speeding; operating with a suspended driver's license, subsequent offense; marked lanes violation; failure to signal; disorderly conduct; and disturbing the peace.

After his arrest, Officer Pacheco recognized Myers from a shoplifting that occurred on Saturday, November 2, at Cumberland Farms on Depot Street. During that incident, he fled before the arrival of officers and is now charged with shoplifting from that case.

WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Get our free mobile app

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420