A fugitive wanted in connection with the Nov. 20 shooting of a Massachusetts State Police trooper on Cape Cod was killed early Friday during a shootout with U.S. Marshals in New York.

Andre K. Sterling, 35, was wanted on charges including armed assault with intent to murder in the shooting of Trooper John Lennon, who suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

Two U.S. Marshals and an NYPD detective were wounded in the Wakefield section of the Bronx as law enforcement closed in this morning, according to a local media report. Sources said the Marshals received gunshot wounds, and that a detective sustained a leg injury while helping transport the Marshals to the hospital. A second suspect was also reportedly taken to the hospital.

Shots rang on Ely Avenue in the Bronx at around 5:30 a.m. Friday as Marshals were executing a warrant for Sterling, who was on a most-wanted violent fugitives list.

Update, 12:15 p.m.: Massachusetts State Police said two Deputy Marshals sustained gunshot injuries that are not life-threatening. The shootout occurred after the suspect was tracked to the Bronx borough of New York City. Members of a USMS New York/New Jersey task force went to an apartment where intelligence suggested Sterling may have been present. There was an exchange of gunfire.

Four Massachusetts State Police Troopers -- two members of the Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section and two members of the State Police Detective Unit for the Cape and Islands District Attorney's Office -- were present at the scene of the operation. The troopers were maintaining a perimeter to ensure the safety of the public, state police said.

In Massachusetts, Trooper John Lennon, 28, was shot and injured Nov. 20 at 11:30 p.m. after he stopped a car on Camp Street in Barnstable. The suspect, identified as Sterling, fled. The vehicle he was driving was found abandoned at a nearby condominium complex. He eluded police and somehow made his way off Cape Cod and into New York. A warrant was issued for his arrest.

Massachusetts State Police today said the shooting incident remains under investigation by authorities in New York City, and that no further information will be released at this time.

WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420