South Dartmouth House Fire Caused by Faulty Gas Line
DARTMOUTH — Dartmouth Fire Department officials say an overpressurized gas line at a home in the Padanaram section of town was partly to blame for a fire Wednesday morning.
The fire was reported by neighbors at around 9 a.m. at 35 George Street in South Dartmouth.
Apparatus from Dartmouth Fire District 1 responded to the scene with firefighters extinguishing the fire within fifteen minutes.
Eversource also responded to the scene and shut off gas service to the entire street.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.
District 1 Fire Chief Bradford Ellis tells WBSM News the fire caused heavy damage to the exterior and the attic of the home, and estimates the damage at about $120,000 in repairs.
Chief Ellis says it's not clear what the ignition source for the fire was, but believes the faulty gas line was an isolated incident, as no other nearby properties were affected.
The fire remains under investigation.