A 23-year-old convicted cocaine trafficker from Attleboro who was driving in excess of 80 miles per hour along a heavily traveled narrow road in Norton before crashing and fleeing from police last January was sentenced to serve two years in state prison, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III announced today.

Trevor Harrison pleaded guilty in Fall River Superior Court to trafficking in excess of 18 grams of cocaine, resisting arrest, leaving the scene of property damage and operating a motor vehicle to endanger.

On January 13, 2019 at approximately 9:30 p.m., Officer Jarrad Morse of the Norton Police Department was dispatched to Freeman Street for a 911 hang up call. Officer Morse was on North Worcester Street when he observed a red Nissan turn onto West Main Street.  At the same time, he activated his emergency lights and siren to respond to the 911 call, according to a media release from the District Attorney's office

As Officer Morse started to pass the Nissan, it drove off at an excessive rate of speed, Quinn's office said. Near Oak Street, the defendant crossed the yellow line and nearly struck another vehicle head-on. While attempting to turn right onto Taunton Avenue, the defendant crashed into a utility pole and the car sustained heavy front end damage before the defendant got out and ran toward towards Wheaton College.

Morse chased the man on foot, commanding him to stop. The defendant ran to an area between the Norton Post Office and a row of hedges near Wheaton College property. Stopped at a chain link fence, the defendant threw a bag into the hedges and took a fighting stance and attempted to grab the officer, the DA's office said. A struggled ensued, at which point a second officer arrived to assist in taking the defendant into custody.

A search of the hedges revealed a bag of cocaine weighing just under 27 grams. In the defendant’s left pocket, the police found $1,006 in U.S. currency, Quinn's office said.

After accepting the defendant's guilty pleas this morning, Judge Renee Dupuis sentenced the defendant to serve two years in state prison and also ordered a forfeiture of the cash.

WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420