Westport Fire Department Battles Wood Stove-Related Fire
In what Westport fire officials are calling the third wood stove-related fire in the past few weeks, a structure fire was knocked down late Saturday night at a home on Tee Lane in Westport Harbor.
According to Deputy Chief Dan Baldwin, the homeowner was alerted to the fire by an employee of a nearby country club.
“The homeowner was alerted to the fire by an employee at the Acoaxet Country Club, who was flashing her vehicle's lights through the woods in the direction of the home,” Baldwin said in a release. “The homeowner saw the flashing lights and noticed an orange glow on the trees surrounding the home. When the homeowner went outside to investigate the glow, he saw that smoke and fire had already burned through the roof of the home.”
Firefighters arrived to find a fire through the roof of the two-and-a-half-story building, Baldwin said. After first knocking it down as much as they could from the inside, firefighters moved on to the interior of the home and found fire in the attic and walls, and had to pull down ceilings and walls to expose and extinguish the fire.
Because there are no fire hydrants in that area, water was piped in by the Tiverton Fire Department from a brook on Brayton Point Road, while tankers from Westport, Little Compton, and Dartmouth Fire District 3 shuttled water to the scene.
No injuries were reported.
Investigators believe the fireplace flue was the possible source of ignition for the fire, but said the investigation remains ongoing.
“The home suffered significant smoke, water, and fire damage,” Baldwin said. “However, firefighters were still able to save a large portion of the home, as well as many valuable and personal belongings.”