New Bedford Shooter Sentenced
NEW BEDFORD — A 32-year-old New Bedford man who pleaded guilty to his role in multiple 2020 shootings in the city will serve up to 10 years in state prison.
The Bristol County District Attorney's Office said Thursday that Giovanni Vale-Valentin admitted to indictments charging him with two counts each of assault and battery by discharge of a firearm and attempted assault and battery by discharge of a firearm.
He also pleaded guilty to carrying an illegal firearm.
According to the D.A.'s office, Vale-Valentin shot and injured another man at the Petromart gas station on Coggeshall Street in New Bedford on July 26, 2020 after he and several co-defendants got into an argument with another group.
The argument had started over neighborhoods in the city, the office stated.
Co-defendants Ashlee Cambra, Tyrell Woodis-Pina, and Brian Ortiz were also allegedly involved in the shooting.
Of the four, only Brian Ortiz's case is still pending.
Woodis-Pina was convicted for illegal firearm charges in October 2021 and is currently serving three to seven years in prison, while Cambra was sentenced last month to four to six years in prison.
Judge Thomas Perrino sentencted Vale-Valentin to six to 10 years in state prison.
“This is another example of senseless street violence between gang members over a petty argument at a business," said Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn.
"This type of lawlessness is unacceptable and endangers the lives and safety of innocent people."