Middleboro High Graduates to Get Money Back for Canceled Trip
MIDDLEBORO — After two years, Middleboro High School's Class of 2020 will finally be getting most of their money back for a senior trip to Orlando in April 2020 that was canceled due to COVID.
Middleboro town officials announced the reimbursement on Thursday, after the state legislature and Gov. Charlie Baker approved the plans.
In a statement, Town Manager Robert Nunes and Board of Selectmen Chairman Mark Germain said a total of $52,480 will be given back to the 57 affected families, with each receiving an average refund of $930.
Officials said the trip originally cost a total of $2,150, but those who paid for it already received a partial refund of $1,120 for airfare.
That left $1,030 missing for each student — and it was not previously returned, because the travel company organizing the trip closed, according to the statement.
Now the former students and their families will be getting almost all of it back, except for a $100 non-refundable deposit.
According to officials, the town of Middleboro will automatically mail out checks to those eligible for reimbursement.
The statement noted the approval comes after "months of work" including lengthy discussions between local and state officials.
After a request from the families, the issue was first raised by Germain at a select board meeting in February 2021.
The reimbursement was approved by Town Meeting later that spring.
"This reimbursement has been a two-year long process that we have diligently fought for to ensure that all those who paid for their trip that never happened got their money back," Germain said.
"It was an extremely unfortunate situation our seniors dealt with and once this issue was raised to the Board of Selectmen we realized that we had the opportunity to vote on something locally that would have a direct, positive impact on the town."
Germain credited State Senator Marc Pacheco and State Rep. Normal Orrall for helping town officials gain approval for the reimbursement plan from the state.
"I am very pleased to have worked cooperatively with the Town of Middleborough officials as well as the local families involved to help resolve this unfortunate situation," Pacheco said.
"Although countless unprecedented challenges arose from the COVID-19 pandemic, the lack of reimbursement for local families after the cancelation of Middleborough High’s Senior Trip seemed like a particularly unjust consequence that added insult to injury."