What Should You Do During A Heat Wave?
Each year summer heat waves kill children and the elderly. But those things don't have to happen! Follow these tips to stay well an safe during a summer heat wave.
- Drink a lot of fluids. Even if you believe that you are staying cool, think twice! Heat can take a toll on anyone so be on the safe side and hydrate yourself throughout the day.
- Regularly check on the ones who are affected by the sun the most, including: infants, young children, the elderly, and those with any sort of heart disorder and high blood pressure. The sun could be highly dangerous for them.
- Try to stay indoors and on the ground floor. Remember heat rises so staying on the lowest floor possible and taking it easy is the best way to remain cool.
- Light and well-rounded meals help regulate body temperature, keeping it at a nice cool temperature.
- Try to keep your lights as low as possible or even off to keep the cool air in and the hot air out.
- Take a cool shower or bath if you want to feel refreshed and cooled in seconds.
Thinking about how uncomfortable it is for us humans during a heat wave, could you imagine wearing a fur coat during one? Where your only way to cool off is by sweating through your feet or panting? Of course not! If you don’t know what to do for your pets during one of these heat waves, here are some tips to help.
- Keep fresh, cold water available for your pets throughout the day.
- Make sure that they have some shady area for them to cool down.
- Limit their exercise so they don’t move much between mornings and late afternoons.
- Before taking them on a walk make sure you check with the palms of your hands to see if the sidewalk or street is too hot to touch. If it is, then it is too hot for your pet to walk on with their little paws.
- Keep pets indoors, even if they are outdoor animals. They should not be outside unless they need to be. They could become dehydrated and that is very dangerous for an animal.
- Never leave an animal in a parked vehicle. A car can become like a sauna in minutes, even with the windows open. This could lead to a fatal heatstroke.
- Make sure you watch for symptoms of overheating.
If any other questions about what to do during a heat wave, click the button bellow for more information!