5 Ways the Gleason Family YMCA is More Than a Gym
When you think about joining a gym, do you imagine people of all ages and abilities working out at their own pace, connecting with neighbors and friends in a welcoming atmosphere? If that’s not the image that comes to mind, you haven’t been to the Y!
A membership to YMCA Southcoast can enhance your life beyond your physical needs because the Y is so much more than a gym. For starters your membership includes access to all six Southcoast facilities from the world-class Gleason Family YMCA in Wareham to the newest facility in Swansea. The Y offers enrichment for you, your family and the entire community. As a non-profit organization, YMCA’s Southcoast’s biggest priority is people, not profit.
Here are 5 ways that your Gleason Family YMCA membership goes beyond monthly gym dues:
1) You belong to a community dedicated to wellness. Unlike a typical gym, the Y attracts a large cross-section of members. You will run into folks recovering from major health events, like cancer, as well as young adults following strict fitness and weightlifting programs. There is no “typical” Y member and the Gleason Center works hard to ensure that everyone feels welcome.
2) Gleason has a great outdoor facility. The beaches can get pretty packed in the summer and sometimes trying to find parking more trouble than its worth. Swing by the Gleason outdoor pool for a quick dip before dinner or for some relief during a busy weekend with the kids. No need to join a fancy club to have access to a pool this summer! Sometimes Gleason even hosts giant cookouts on the pool deck for their members. It has all of the makings of a great summer weekend without the headaches.
3) Gleason's inside pool has a zero-depth entry and a family-fun slide. For families who are just introducing their kids to aquatics, this style makes it easy to enter deeper water gradually with no ladders, jumping or diving. Similar to a beach, the zero-depth entry lets kids enter the water at their own pace, making them more comfortable around water.
4) Your Gleason Membership is good at 5 other Southcoast YMCA branches. In fact, members can visit any YMCA nationwide. Gleason has a sauna and steam room in the adult locker rooms, an indoor track, outdoor volleyball and pickleball courts, and a rock climbing wall. But if you want to get out of the sun for a change, you can take the family to the hiking trails or through the adventure ropes course at the Dartmouth or Swansea branches instead. (You can check out all the amenities at each location here.)
5) YMCA believes in Membership for All. The YMCA is committed to keeping the Wareham community healthy and have income-based memberships available. This approach to memberships allows the community to take control of their health, including combating youth obesity and Type II Diabetes. What ‘typical’ gym does that for your family?
For 2018 only, new members can take 20% off of their membership when they join with a friend and current members can take 20% of their memberships when they refer a friend. (Check out the full rate card here)