Firefighters Save Elderly Man from McCormack Manor Apartment Fire
FAIRHAVEN — An elderly is alive and recovering after Fairhaven firefighters responded to a fire at a three-story apartment building on Saturday.
The Fairhaven Fire Department says just after 6:00 p.m., firefighters received an alarm for a fire at McCormack Manor, located at 157 Washington Street. Just as responding crews were leaving, 911 calls came into the station reporting it was coming from apartment 110.
Two engines and an aerial ladder responded to the scene. First arriving crews found heavy smoke coming from the rear of the apartment building. Firefighters made a quick entry and discovered the kitchen of the first floor apartment engulfed in the blaze.
Firefighters found and rescued a 66-year-old man from the apartment. The man, who had suffered from burns and smoke inhalation, was rushed to St Luke’s Hospital. The man was in serious condition upon arrival to St Luke’s and was later transported to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston by med-flight.
The fire was contained to the single apartment on the first floor, but the second and third floor apartments suffered smoke damage.
While Fairhaven firefighters were battling that fire and providing medical care to the victim, two other calls for EMS services occurred. The Acushnet Fire Department provided mutual aid for station coverage, and automatic aid for EMS response to one of the runs, while off duty Fairhaven Firefighters responded to the second EMS call for service.
The fire is under investigation by the Fairhaven Fire Department, Fairhaven Police, and the Massachusetts State Fire Marshall’s Office.