Fairhaven Selectman Could Face Charges For Parking Lot Fight
The Fairhaven Police Department has filed criminal complaint applications against a 51-year-old local man and his 18-year-old daughter for their alleged part in a parking lot altercation last Wednesday.
According to the Providence-based WJAR, the subjects are Daniel Freitas, chairman of the Fairhaven Board of Selectmen, and his teenage daughter. Town Administrator Mark Rees confirmed to the outlet that Freitas still holds his position with the town, and referred all further questions to the police department.
Fairhaven Police Department spokesman Lt. Kevin Kobza today said he could not release an incident report at this time because the criminal complaint applications have not yet been processed by the New Bedford District Court clerk’s office.
“Everything has slowed down because of COVID-19,” he said.
According to a press release from Kobza, at approximately 9 p.m. on July 1, Fairhaven Police responded to the parking lot between McDonald’s and Sullivan Tire at 14 Plaza Way for a report of an altercation.
Upon arrival, officers spoke to the Fairhaven man and woman who were still at the scene. Through subsequent investigation, it was determined that the Fairhaven woman and another woman and her boyfriend had been engaged in verbal argument in the parking lot a short time earlier. Police said there is a history of animosity between the two women.
Following the verbal argument, the Fairhaven woman returned to the parking lot with her father and allegedly confronted the other woman and her boyfriend, who were still on the scene.
According to police, a physical fight between the Fairhaven man and the boyfriend ensued. The girlfriend tried to break it up and the Fairhaven man allegedly pushed the woman out of the way. During the altercation, the Fairhaven woman allegedly kicked the victim's vehicle and caused minor damage. Both men sustained minor injuries and no one was hospitalized.
Fairhaven police investigated the incident over the past week, conducting multiple interviews and reviewing video surveillance footage. Following the closure of their investigation, the criminal applications were filed with the court.
WJAR reached Freitas by phone and he had no comment. Freitas, who ran for selectman in 2016, previously served on the Board of Public Works.