FAIRHAVEN — A fire this afternoon in Fairhaven caused by someone working on a car’s fuel system in their home's garage led to $100,000 in damage.

Fairhaven Fire Chief Todd Correia said that at 3:43 p.m., Fairhaven Police received a 911 call reporting a car fire in the garage at 10 Brook Drive. He said two engines and one ladder arrived at the scene to find heavy fire coming from the garage.

Courtesy Ed Pepin

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to extinguish the fire, and they were able to limit the blaze to just the garage; however, the home sustained significant smoke damage.

Courtesy Ed Pepin

Two people were inside at the time of the fire, Correia said, and one sustained minor burns to both forearms while the other escaped without injury.

According to Correia, the fire was deemed accidental, originating in the garage after a family member was working on the fuel system of one of the cars. He said fuel leaked and came into contact with an ignition source, igniting the fire.

Courtesy Ed Pepin

The fire destroyed the garage and the two vehicles that were inside it. Correia said the estimated damage totaled approximately $100,000.

KEEP READING: Here are the best places to retire in America