Firefighters in Fairhaven quickly contained a fire early Monday morning at 140 Balsam Street.

Fire crews responded to the address just after 5am, and reported fire coming from the chimney area.

According to Fire Chief Todd Correia, crews opened up the walls around the fireplace and extinguished the fire. The fire was declared under control around 5:25 am. No civilians or firefighters were injured.

Chief Correia says the family was alerted to the flames by smoke detectors in the home.

Photo courtesy Fairhaven Fire DEpartment
Photo courtesy Fairhaven Fire DEpartment

Correia said the occupants had used the fireplace last night and it appears that radiant heat and embers apparently ignited the wood frame above the fireplace.

He estimated damage at between $5,000 and $10,000. Firefighters cleared the scene around 6:30 am..



Information provided by the Fairhaven Fire Department

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420