Firefighters responded to Jackson's Variety at 114 Sconticut Road in Fairhaven Monday at around 7:40 this morning for reports of a structure fire at the two-and-a-half-story wood frame building.

Lt. Silveira of the Fairhaven Fire Department confirmed that two individuals were transported to St. Luke's hospital from the scene, but said he had no information on their condition.

At around 9 a.m firefighters were observed extending apparatus from a ladder truck and climbing on the roof of the variety store, which has an apartment on the second floor. They were seen cutting through the roof amid reports that fire was present in the attic.

As of around 10:15 a.m. Silveira said firefighters were still on the scene and were expected to be there "for quite some time" as they battled any remaining hot spots. He said the fire was "under control."

Crews from New Bedford and Acushnet provided mutual aid, Silveira said.

Traffic was temporarily blocked on Sconticut Neck Road causing backups.

Patricia Regan, a neighbor, told WBSM she was driving by and arrived at the scene before firefighters showed up. Regan said that "four brave men" entered the home and rescued Colin Jackson, the owner of the store, and a niece. Bystanders and an off-duty firefighter did rush in to pull two occupants out before firefighters arrived, Fire Chief Timothy Francis confirmed.

Kristina Jackson, the manager of Jackson’s Variety, told reporters she was opening the store when she saw the fire and alerted her father and the female relative on the second story, where her father lives.

Jackson’s father and the female relative are being treated at St. Luke’s Hospital for burns and smoke inhalation, Fire Chief Timothy Francis told reporters at the scene.

This is a developing story, and we'll keep you posted as more information comes in.

WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420