UPDATE (1 p.m. Oct. 3) — The Bristol County Sheriff's Office released an update on Monday afternoon stating that Howe was taken to Cape Cod Hospital for a psychiatric evaluation following his arrest on Friday night.

After medical professionals cleared him to return to custody, Howe was taken to Ash Street Jail on Saturday afternoon, where he was placed on a security watch, meaning an officer would check on him every 15 minutes. 

Between officer rounds on Sunday afternoon, Howe used wet toilet paper to clog his airways and cause a medical emergency.

He was taken to St. Luke's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Howe was wearing a nylon rip-resistant smock similar to a Ferguson Safety Smock at the time of his death, the sheriff's office wrote in the update.

UPDATE (10:28 a.m. Oct. 3) — This article has been updated to include the fact that Howe died of an apparent suicide and other information from the Bristol County District Attorney's Office.

NEW BEDFORD — A 34-year-old man arrested Friday night on suspicion of killing his mother and burning her body on the lawn of a Truro home has died of an apparent suicide at New Bedford's Ash Street Jail on Sunday.

The Bristol County Sheriff's Office said Sunday that Adam Howe died after he suffered a medical emergency in his cell at the city jail.

According to the County District Attorney's Office, Ash Street Jail correctional officers found Howe unresponsive at 3:04 p.m. Sunday.

WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Get our free mobile app

Three officers and two nurses performed CPR on Howe while New Bedford EMS was contacted, the D.A.'s office said.

Howe was rushed to St. Luke’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:37 p.m.


According to a joint statement from Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe and Truro Police Chief Jamie Calise on Saturday, Howe was arrested Friday night at the Truro home.

Authorities said emergency personnel responded to a requested well-being check and a separate report of a fire at the undisclosed location at around 9:30 p.m. Friday.

They arrived to find a man, later identified as Howe, outside the house and a body burning on the front lawn.

A regional SWAT team was called in when Howe ran back into the house and locked himself inside, ultimately gaining entry and taking Howe into custody.

Officials said evidence suggests the body that was on fire is Susan Howe, Adam's mother. She would have turned 70 years old this month.

Howe was charged with murder, and authorities said arrangements were made to evaluate his mental health.

The D.A.'s office said Howe was alone in an isolated unit cell and was wearing inmate clothing designed for at-risk prisoners at the time of his apparent suicide.

He was also subject to random 15-minute spot checks.

According to the office, no foul play is suspected, but an autopsy will be conducted by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Bristol County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Jonathan Darling said state police assigned to the Bristol D.A.'s office are investigating Adam Howe's death at Ash Street over the weekend.

"Out of respect for the family, we have no additional comment or details," Darling said, adding that the family "has been through a lot this weekend."

WBSM's Top SouthCoast Stories 9/19 - 9/25

These are the top stories of the past week on WBSM.com and on the WBSM app. Click on the title or photo to read the entire story.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420