DARTMOUTH — The Dartmouth Fire Department responded to a roof fire at the Cask & Pig Kitchen and Alehouse located at 780 State Road on Saturday afternoon.

Emergency calls first came into the department at 2:12 p.m., reporting a fire containing the roof of the restaurant. Fire crews were able to clear the restaurant without any injuries and had the fire under control by 2:35 p.m.

District 3 Fire Chief Richard Arruda presided over the scene and tells WBSM News that the fire was caused by a grease buildup that burned all the way up through a stove.

“There was a grease buildup that ignited down below and burnt all the way up through the stove,” Arruda said. “First companies on scene had fires showing from the back of the roof. They quickly laddered the roof and got up on top and realized that there was a fire up in the duct system from one of the stoves. It burned all the way through the duct and ignited the equipment on the roof.”

Arruda says that the fire suppression system effectively controlled the fire inside the building, but was unable to contain the fire that made its way to the roof thru the duct system. The Chief says that the kitchen suffered substantial smoke, water, and soot damage from the suppression system.

The stove is out of service and right now they're currently calling in a cleanup company to start working on getting the building cleaned up,” Arruda said. “The Board of Health is going to be notified by our office and they'll have to have a Board of Health inspection before the building is able to be reopened.”

Chief Arruda noted that while the cost of total damage to the building hasn't been assessed yet, he estimated that it could be in excess of $30,000.

We will update this story as soon as more details become available.

Emergency crews responding to the fire at the Cask & Pig Kitchen and Alehouse. Tim Dunn/TSM
Emergency crews responding to the fire at the Cask & Pig Kitchen and Alehouse. Tim Dunn/TSM