Nine ‘Johns’ Charged in Undercover Prostitution Sting
NEW BEDFORD — Nine men are being charged as a result of an undercover investigation in New Bedford's North End.
After receiving complaints from area residents of increased prostitution activity, members of the New Bedford Police Department's Narcotics Unit conducted an undercover sting targeting the 1300-block of Acushnet Avenue.
An undercover female officer posed as a prostitute on Acushnet Avenue and the surrounding area Tuesday evening. Police say she was approached by nine men who agreed to engage in sexual activity for a fee.
Police are charging the following defendants with engaging in sexual conduct for a fee:
- William Lanna, 39, 176 Eliza Street, Providence, R.I.
- Santos Chach-Lopez, 34, 1416 Acushnet Ave., New Bedford
- Juan Garcia, 33, 181 Ashley Blvd., New Bedford
- Carlos Mendes, 37, 422 Shaw St., New Bedford
- Willie Ayers, 34, 50 Tallman St., New Bedford
- Jonathan Rivera, 31, 37 Yale St., New Bedford
- Sabino Barrera-Grave, 23, 109 Tallman St., New Bedford
- Miguel Pacheco, 44, 1406 Acushnet Ave., New Bedford
- Domingo Choc, 63, 45 Tallman St., New Bedford
The nine men were scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday in New Bedford District Court.