FALL RIVER — A 24-year-old New Bedford man who shot a New Bedford Police officer during the execution of a search warrant at his home in 2014 was convicted in Fall River Superior Court Thursday and sentenced to serve up to nine years in state prison.

The Bristol County District Attorney's Office says Nathan Manuel-Jackson pleaded guilty to a multi-count indictment charging him with armed assault with intent to murder and possession of an illegal firearm.

In early 2014, members of the New Bedford Police Department were conducting a narcotics investigation into another individual, who was believed to be conducting a cocaine distribution operation out of Mr. Manuel-Jackson’s apartment.

Surveillance on the address revealed the target of the investigation arriving in a tan Cadillac and entering the building through the rear porch. At approximately 11:15 pm, police entered the common hallway and stairway leading to the second floor apartment. Police were aware of knives in the apartment and a locking mechanisms at the rear door. As police began to ram the door, officers heard "cops, cops". Sgt. Lagoa was in front of the door as gunshots came from the apartment. Sgt. Lagoa turned and attempted to push the officers behind him down the stairwell. He then felt a sharp pain and burning in his arm and chest, and realized he was shot. He then fell down multiple stairs. Other detectives then immediately transported Sgt. Lagoa to St. Luke's Hospital, from where he is then transferred to Rhode Island Hospital.

Remaining detectives continue to try to gain entry, however, the door was barricaded from the inside. The defendant then advised police that he would open the door and surrender. Four other individuals within the apartment, three males and one female, with one of the males being the target, were then secured. A subsequent search of the apartment resulted in the seizure of four .380 caliber shell casings in the front living room in front of the entry door.

When secured, none of the persons had weapons. A search of the apartment for the firearm led police to one of two bedrooms in the apartment where there was a large hole in the plaster wall. A camera probe was inserted into the hole and a gun was observed at the bottom of the channel. The wallboard was removed and a Kal-tec P3 .380 caliber was recovered. Only a small amount of marijuana was recovered with no other contraband located.

The defendant told police that he heard the banging on the door and shot through the door four times. The defendant stated that he thought they were being robbed again and told police that a week prior, their door had been kicked in and he was pistol whipped and robbed at gunpoint. That incident was not reported to authorities at the time.

Sgt. Lagoa was treated and observed at Rhode Island Hospital, but was later released without surgery.

Bristol County District Attorney's Office

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420