New Bedford Man Pleads Guilty to Role in Fentanyl Trafficking
BOSTON (WBSM) — A New Bedford man faces up to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty today to his role in a drug trafficking organization that operated in Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Jason Cruz, 42, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute and to possess with intent to distribute fentanyl.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office said that between about April 2022 and June 2022, Cruz purchased fentanyl from a drug trafficking organization that he then redistributed to others. He was caught discussing the purchase of fentanyl from the organization.
“In addition, surveillance footage showed other members of the (organization) visiting Cruz’s residence for brief periods of time, which is consistent with illegal drug trafficking,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.
Altogether, 10 suspects were arrested as part of the investigation: three from New Bedford, one from Taunton, and one from Yarmouth, with the others all hailing from Providence or Cranston, Rhode Island.
Cruz faces up to 20 years in prison, at least three years (and up to a lifetime) of supervised release, and a fine of up to $1 million.
Cruz will be sentenced on July 25. He has been in custody since he was indicted by a grand jury in August of last year.