NEW BEDFORD (WBSM) — New Bedford Police have arrested the man who they allege was responsible for an incident in which shots were fired last month in the Brickenwood housing development.

The incident occurred on June 25, when patrol units responded to a Yale Street residence for a report of a man with a gun. Police said investigators determined that Alfredo Loya, 22, discharged a firearm at the residence before fleeing the scene.

They said Loya already had several active warrants for his arrest in addition to the new charges.

WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Get our free mobile app

Police said that on July 4, acting on information gathered by Det. Jonathan Miranda, detectives learned of Loya’s current whereabouts and located him. When they attempted to stop him, he fled on foot, leading detectives on a brief chase through a wooded area along Interstate 195 westbound. Police said the detectives observed him discarding a firearm during the chase.

Loya was captured and arrested, and police said the firearm that was discarded was a Glock 30 .45-caliber pistol loaded with eight rounds of ammunition.

Loya is now charged with illegal possession of a firearm in addition to the charges from the shooting incident last month as well as the previous warrants.

He was arraigned Friday and held in custody pending a dangerousness hearing scheduled for July 10.

The SouthCoast's Most Exciting Police Chases

Here's a list of some of the wildest police pursuits around the SouthCoast in recent memory.

Gallery Credit: Kate Robinson

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420