NEW BEDFORD — Former Fairhaven Select Board Chair Dan Freitas is in the ICU at St. Luke’s Hospital after battling respiratory issues caused by asthma and drug addiction, according to a social media post by a family member.

Freitas’ brother Eddie took to Facebook on Saturday to state that Dan will be taken off life support on Sunday and his organs donated to help others.

He said he was posting to dispel rumors about his brother, whose health rapidly deteriorated on Tuesday morning after he found himself having difficulty breathing, followed by cardiac arrest.

“It’s not much of a secret that Danny had a drug addiction problem,” Eddie wrote in the post.

But, he added, “There was no overdose. He never overdosed.”

WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Get our free mobile app

Freitas was recalled from the Select Board in a special election last year.

He was also facing eviction from his 163 Washington St. home, with a judgment handed down against him on April 1.

Fairhaven Fire and EMS confirmed that first responders were called to Freitas’ apartment at around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday for a medical emergency.

In the long, heartfelt message, his brother outlined how the former town official injured his back helping coworkers shovel snow a few years ago.

“His Doctor prescribed pain meds,” Eddie wrote. “The rest is history.”

He described his brother’s situation as a “new rock bottom,” stating that he posted about it to help anyone “who may find themselves in a similar situation.”

“Drug addiction knows no boundaries,” he added. “Black, white or purple; rich or poor. Doesn’t matter.”

Eddie finished the message by encouraging anyone hiding a drug problem to get help.

Messages of support and condolence continue to pour in from friends and community members on social media.

See Inside the Boyhood Home of Fairhaven's Legendary Henry Huttleston Rogers

This small, unassuming Fairhaven house was the boyhood home of Fairhaven's greatest benefactor, Henry Huttleston Rogers, and was even the home that had the first telephone in Fairhaven history. The house recently sold for $335,000.


More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420