Fire ripped through a home at 276 Bedford Street in Lakeville Friday morning. Five occupants were inside when the fire broke out just after 9 a.m. Officials said the second floor of the structure was badly damaged by fire and there was water damage throughout.

According to the department's Facebook page, all five including an elderly man in a wheelchair made it out without injury. Several kittens were also rescued by firefighters and returned to the family.

A total of nine people were displaced by the fire and the Red Cross was contacted. The homeowner reported he did not have homeowners insurance.

Middleboro firefighters also assisted at the scene. Mutual aid was provided by Berkley, Freetown, and Raynham.

Lakeville Fire Chief Mike O’Brien said in a statement, "Dealing with the loss of someone’s home is never a pleasant thing, especially right before Christmas. I am proud of my Department’s response and I am grateful to our mutual partners."

Courtesy Lakeville Fire Department
Courtesy Lakeville Fire Department
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420