Fairhaven Fire Sparked by Welding Torch Destroys Boat
FAIRHAVEN (WBSM) — A fishing vessel called the Carrabassett is a total loss after catching fire in the water off Fairhaven Thursday morning.
Fairhaven firefighters received a call around 7 a.m. on Feb. 8 for a reported boat fire at 4 Washington St. They found heavy fire coming from the pilot's house on the 82-foot boat.
Crews worked for an hour to get the flames under control.
A cutting torch being used by welders at the bow is believed to be the cause. Welders tried to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher, the fire department said.
Mutual aid came from New Bedford and Mattapoisett while the Acushnet Fire Department provided station coverage.
The owner of the Carrabassett was present and said the vessel had recently been retired from service, according to the fire department.
No injuries were reported but the Carrabassett appears to be a total loss.
It's Illegal to Spark a Bonfire in These 22 Massachusetts Communities
Gallery Credit: Kari Jakobsen
Hidden Fire Hazards In Your Home You Need to Know
Gallery Credit: Kyle Matthews
LOOK: The most expensive weather and climate disasters in recent decades
Gallery Credit: KATELYN LEBOFF