Cabral Safeguards State Funds for New Bedford with Veto Overrides
BOSTON — Representative Antonio F. D. Cabral (D-New Bedford) successfully fought to restore funding for several New Bedford programs and organizations vetoed by Governor Baker through a series of override votes taken up by the House of Representatives. The overrides were finalized Wednesday, after three weeks of deliberation.
With these votes, Representative Cabral safeguarded the funding for local priorities that he had earlier secured in the House version of the budget.
“These funds are vital to these respective organizations, allowing them to implement important programs that serve residents throughout the entire City and add to our community’s strength,” said Rep. Cabral.
Representative Cabral secured veto overrides in the House for:
· $100,000 for operations at Zeiterion, Inc.
· $80,000 for youth programs at the Dennison Memorial Community Center.
· $75,000 for the New Bedford Historical Society.
· $60,000 for the Community Boating Center in New Bedford
· $50,000 for the Frederick Douglass House of New Bedford.
· $30,000 for the Tom Lopes Community Sculpture Project in New Bedford.
· $25,000 for the youth apprenticeship program at New Bedford Festival Theatre.
“The budget the Legislature sent to the Governor was balanced and our veto overrides are representative of that,” said Rep. Cabral. “The budget process is always a challenge, but we successfully invested a great deal back into our communities.”
The House now waits for further action by the state Senate.
--Rep. Cabral's Office