Gas Leak Results in House Explosion in New Bedford
Police are reporting that a gas leak has resulted in a house explosion in New Bedford near Richmond Street.
The New Bedford Fire Department was dispatched shortly before 4am Monday morning to a report of the odor of natural gas. They heard a muffled explosion coming from a home at 232 Richmond Street.
According to Detective Capt. Steve Vicent an individual had broken into the home and was removing copper piping and began cutting into a steel pipe that fed natural gas into the gas water heater which caused the gas to build up and ignite.
The Police are looking for a suspect, a white male in his 30's or 40's was seen fleeing the scene on an old bicycle and had a backpack. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Greg Sirois at 508-991-6300 ext 137.