Westport Town Hall Evacuated After Outlet Catches Fire
WESTPORT — Workers at Westport Town Hall were evacuated early Monday morning after an electrical outlet on the second floor caught fire, setting off smoke alarms and causing some damage.
According to a social media post from the town's fire department, firefighters responded to the reported smoke just before 8 a.m. Monday.
The alarms were set off by smoke from an electrical fire in one of the second floor offices, the fire department stated.
Fire crews contained the electrical fire to a floor outlet and no injuries were reported.
There was some fire damage to the outlet and a floor mat, according to the department's post.
First responders were also called to a two-car crash with significant damage but no injuries on Rt. 177 just before the town hall fire.
"We have answered 90 Fire and EMS calls since the start of the New Year," the department's post reads.