Massachusetts Organization Warns Dog Owners About Toxic Fungus Among Us
Wild mushrooms have been popping up in SouthCoast neighborhoods as a result of all the rain we have been experiencing for the past few weeks. While store-bought mushrooms are tasty for humans and pets, wild mushrooms are a cause for concern for your four-legged friends. The Missing Dogs of Massachusetts issued a warning recently to keep your dogs at bay from this enticing fungus.
Missing Dogs of Massachusetts (MDM) is an all-volunteer, 501c3 non-profit organization devoted to improving the reunion rate of lost and found dogs in the state of Massachusetts. It shared online how members have recently heard several sad stories recently involving dogs ingesting toxic mushrooms.
“Some survived after undergoing expensive vet care and some were not so lucky,” the organization reported.
It went on to explained that the influx of rain has made it ideal conditions for wild mushrooms to thrive, leading dogs to investigate this new sight in their backyards.
MDM explained that “depending on the type of mushroom and the size of your dog, it may not take much to cause some serious harm.”
Signs of mushroom toxicity can begin in as little as 15 minutes or as far out at 12 hours from time of ingestion.
The organization lists the following as some common symptoms of mushroom toxicity:
- Lethargy or weakness
- Tremors or seizures
The ASPCA Poison Control Center does not list mushrooms as harmful to dogs. In fact, store-bought mushrooms are perfectly fine, but it’s a good idea to stay away from wild mushrooms no matter how big or small your dog is.
MDM advises to “supervise your pets at all times and frequently check enclosed areas where your dog has access to remove any mushrooms that have grown.”
Let’s pray for sunny weather in the coming weeks so these mushrooms can no longer survive, and in the meantime, scour your lawns for fungus. Your dog will thank you.