This past Saturday, July 31, the federal moratorium on evictions ended.

On Monday, August 2, Catholic Social Services’ Coordinated Entry System sent out a flyer trying to help tenants understand what happens next if they are facing eviction.

There are rental assistance programs that some tenants may be eligible for, including Homeless Prevention Assistance (HP), Rapid ReHousing Money (RRH), Emergency Rental Assistance Program Funding (ERAP), Rental Assistance to Families in Transition (RAFT) and Emergency Rental/Mortgage Assistance program (ERMA), among others. Tenants facing a housing crisis should not wait to seek help.

Get our free mobile app

You’ve received a Notice to Quit. Now What?
If you have received a "Notice to Quit" from your landlord for nonpayment of rent, you do not need to immediately leave your home.

A Notice to Quit is a legal document that formally/officially notifies a tenant that their tenancy will be terminated by the landlord on a specific date. It is not an order to leave the unit immediately. You should not ignore or discard the notice. You should immediately contact your landlord and try to work out a payment plan.

Tenants who have receive a Notice to Quit are entitled to a legal proceeding where they can defend against the eviction. Only a court can force a tenant to leave their unit. You can learn more about how to handle a Notice to Quit here.

If you live in one of the areas below, you should immediately contact your area’s Coordinated Entry System by phone. Catholic Social Services’ Coordinated Entry program helps individuals and families with their housing crisis, helping to ensure that those who need help most get help first.

In addition, you can also reach out immediately to South Coast Counties Legal Services, Inc., at 1-800-244-9023.

You’ve received a Court Judgement to Vacate. Now What?
If you have received a Court Judgement to Vacate and live in one of the area mentioned above, you should immediately contact your area’s Coordinated Entry by phone using the same information from above or contact South Coast Legal Services.

For questions not answered here, visit’s Guide on Facing Eviction or call 2-1-1 at any time for free, confidential, and multilingual answers to your questions.

Our Favorite Southcoast Photo Responses to “Tell Us Without Telling Us”

We asked and you answered with some of the most SouthCoast images we could ask for.

What to Know Before Visiting the First Cat Café in Rhode Island

The first cafe café in Rhode Island has officially opened its doors in Tiverton. Here is what to expect at Bajah's Cat Café.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420