The closing minutes of Friday, June 11, 1880, were shrouded in thick fog on Long Island Sound. The events of that evening would stun the nation and launch one man's year-long mission to kill an American president.

Here is how it all unfolded.

Between 11:30 p.m. and midnight on June 11, 1880, two passenger steamship collided in dense fog in Long Island Sound, just a few miles from the mouth of the Connecticut River.

Manhattan Island
Getty Images

The S.S. Stonington and the S.S. Narragansett were heading in opposite directions when they collided. Both ships belonged to the Stonington Line, which delivered passengers between Providence, Rhode Island, and New York City.

The Stonington was headed west toward a final destination in New York, while the Narragansett was headed east to Providence.

Author Candice Millard (Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President) writes that Stonington signaled its presence in the foggy sound but not Narragansett.

"At steady intervals, the blast of the foghorn reverberated through the darkness, but no ship returned its call," Millard wrote.

Long Journey
Getty Images

"The 253-foot steamship Narragansett 'abruptly materialized from the darkness and collided' with the Stonington," Millard wrote.

The Narragansett took the brunt of the collision.

Millard wrote that the Narragansett's boiler suffered a direct hit in the collision and exploded.

"Flames licked the well-oiled decks, sending a deadly firestorm billowing through the ship," she wrote.

The Narragansett sank quickly.

The captains of several vessels, including at least one from the Fall River Line, heard the emergency horn blasts from the Stonington and responded to the collision, and crew members helped to pull some of the victims from the water.

The next day, the Kansas City Daily Journal reportd a death toll of 200-300 people because of the "dreadful disaster." provides witness and media accounts of the tragedy.

Damage to the Stonington was not as severe as the damage done to the Narragansett. The vessel limped to its homeport in Connecticut the following morning, and its passengers disembarked.

Among them was a man with a date with destiny.

Garfield's Assassin
Getty Images
WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Get our free mobile app
Getty Images

Forty-one-year-old Charles Guiteau of Freeport, Illinois, who traveled from Boston to Providence, where he boarded the New York-bound Stonington, concluded upon surviving the shipwreck in Long Island Sound that it was a sign from above that he should kill the President of the United States.

Guiteau assassinated President James A. Garfield by shooting him in Washington, D.C., on July 2, 1881. Guiteau was sentenced to death and was hanged five months later.

Buildings Featured in the New Bedford Pathways Historical Walking Tours

A series of new app-based walking tours called New Bedford Pathways will teach the unique architecture of New Bedford and stories of the people who have dwelled among it. Here, New Bedford Preservation Society Administrator Pat Daughton, who produced the tours, shares a photo of one stop from each of the tours along with information about the location.

A Look Inside Westport's Historic Handy House

Westport's Handy House is a 2.5-story wood frame structure with a side-gable roof and clapboard exterior. The house was built in the early 1700s, somewhere between 1710 and 1713, and was occupied by various residents until its most recent owner Eleanor Tripp passed away in August 2003 at 93 years old.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420