Lakeville Fire Displaces Six; Dog Rescued
A noontime Sunday house fire in Lakeville displaced six people and killed a number of small pets, but firefighters were able to rescue a family dog, the department said on social media.
Lakeville firefighters were dispatched to 91 Kingman St at 11:58 am Sunday for reports of a working fire. The working fire declaration activated mutual aid from Freetown, Rochester, Berkley, Acushnet, and Taunton.
Lakeville Car 1 and Car 2 arrived seven minutes after dispatch to find heavy fire venting from the front of the home and all occupants evacuated. Engine 2 and a Taunton Deputy Chief arrived next. Two handlines were deployed and crews made an aggressive interior attack.
Upon entering the home, firefighters were unable to make it to the fire location due to obstructions in the home. Firefighters withdrew from the house and made entry again from another side of the house; this time knocking the fire down.
It was a tough fight as tankers shuttled water a half-mile between a hydrant at Myricks and Kingman streets and the fire scene. A tanker connected to Engine 2, providing additional firefighting water. A portable water tank, known as a bag, was put into service on the street. Extensive overhaul was required to fully extinguish the fire, with crews remaining on scene until 2:16 pm.
Several small animals were lost in the fire, including guinea pigs and gerbils. Firefighters did manage to rescue the family’s pet dog. The cause of the fire was deemed accidental, but it's believed to have started from a space heater being positioned too close to combustibles, the fire department said.
Lakeville police shut down the street for firefighters. Providence Canteen responded to the scene to provide food and drink for the responders.
Fire Chief Mike O'Brien remained on the scene until after 4 p.m. to secure shelter for the residents. The Red Cross provided shelter for the six displaced family members for the night. The family did not have homeowner’s insurance and are in need of all basic necessities, O'Brien said.
“Firefighters overcame difficult conditions to stop the fire where we found it," O'Brien said on Sunday. "I am proud to be part of the professionalism and proficiency shown by Lakeville and area firefighters today.”