Free Fishing Boat Tours This Weekend
Part of this weekend's Working Waterfront Festival will include free tours of fishing vessels. There are so many different types of boats that are each designed to bring in specific types of marine life. This festival this weekend is a great opportunity for the whole family to learn more and appreciate our New Bedford working waterfront.
Boats that will be available to tour:
- A modern day dragger from Carlos Fisheries which catches groundfish: cod, haddock, flounder, etc.
- F/V Alaska a modern day scalloper provided by Oceans Fleet
- F/V Mariette a deep sea clam boat provided by Captain Lou Lagace
- F/V Little Lady, aStoningtondragger provided by Dennis Jason (Saturday only)
- Tug Co (tug boat which does towing and salvage work) provided by TuckerRoyTowing and Salvage
- Schooner Ardelle (a pinky schooner) provided by builder and captain Harold Burnham (Sunday only)
- Schooner Ernestina (built inGloucesteras aGrand Banksfishing schooner)
There will also be free whaleboat rides for visitors 18 and older and Harbor Tours for a fee. The Working Waterfront Festival is sponsored by Fisher College and their New Bedford Campus that has been an integral part of the community since 1977. Be sure to say hello to the Fisher College team at the festival farmer's market this weekend.