FAIRHAVEN — Fairhaven fire crews this morning responded to a Main Street nursing home after an air conditioning unit on the front porch caught fire, according to a release from the town's fire department.

Just after 3:30 a.m. Monday, firefighters were called to a fire alarm at the Royal of Fairhaven at 184 Main St., the release stated.

They arrived minutes later to find an active fire involving the A/C unit on the front porch of the nursing home.

WBSM-AM/AM 1420 logo
Get our free mobile app

According to the release, facility staff had attempted to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher, but were unsuccessful.

Crews put out the flames using a pre-connected hose line from a fire engine.

The department said the blaze was declared under control at 3:40 a.m., within ten minutes of getting the alarm.

Fairhaven Wiring Inspector Paul Raposo also examined the building to make sure no additional hazards were present, the release stated.

Crews remained at the scene overhauling the porch and getting smoke out of the basement of the home for around an hour, leaving the area just after 4:40 a.m.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was found to be electrical, after wiring from the A/C unit appeared to have shorted out and ignited the wood frame porch.

Damage to the air conditioning unit and the porch is estimated to be between $1,000 and $5,000.

It's Illegal to Spark a Bonfire in These 22 Massachusetts Communities

There's nothing better than lighting up a nice bonfire on a warm summer night. But depending on where you live in Massachusetts, it actually could be illegal to do just that. Naturally, there are exceptions to every rule, and bonfires being used for outdoor cooking are allowed, but exceptions aside, 22 cities and towns across the Bay State have prohibited open burning year-round because they're just too densely-built and populated for burning to be considered safe. Is your community on the list?

The ABC's of Fire Safety

26 Tips to help keep your home and family safe, including what to do in case of a fire.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420