Fairhaven Firefighters Defeat Pellet Stove Blaze During Busy Friday
The Fairhaven Fire Department reported a busy afternoon on Friday as high winds buffeted the region, and say they responded to 10 calls in three hours starting at 2:30 p.m.
One call involved a flaming pellet stove at a 19 Hathaway St. home on Sconticut Neck, and firefighters beat that blaze in a timely manner.
At around 3:16 p.m., the department received a report of smoke from the structure. Engine 4 and Ladder 1 were dispatched from headquarters, and Engine 3 reported straight from a previous call. Mattapoisett Fire also responded, according to a statement from the Faihaven Fire Department.
The fire originated in a pellet-style wood stove, according to the department. Fire damage was confined to the stove, but the house sustained moderate smoke and soot damage. The fire is believed to have been accidental in nature and the structure itself was not damaged.
During the Hathaway Street reponse, Acushnet Fire/EMS provided station coverage at Fairhaven and responded to an emergency medical call. Other calls included a 3:08 p.m. alarm at a large residential complex in North Fairhaven, and a 3:15 p.m. call for an unresponsive person in North Fairhaven, according to the statement.