Eversource Worker Shocked by Nearly 7,500 Volts in Sandwich
SANDWICH — A utility worker has been hospitalized after receiving an electric shock of nearly 7,500 volts while working at a Massachusetts substation.
Sandwich Fire Chief John Burke said Tuesday the Eversource worker suffered both entry and exit wounds from the electricity, including burns to his upper and lower extremities. The unnamed man was conscious and alert when medical personnel arrived. He was taken by medical helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where he's in stable condition.
A spokesman for Eversource says the employee was performing maintenance work at the substation and Eversource is looking into the details of what happened. He says the company's "thoughts are with him and his family at this time."
State and local authorities are also investigating the incident, which happened shortly after 8:30 a.m.