Carver Man Injured Using Gasoline to Douse Fire
CARVER — A Carver man is recovering after he accidentally caused an explosion.
Carver Police responded to 32 West Street at approximately 2:15 p.m. on Tuesday after receiving a 911 call from a man who reported he was injured in a gas explosion.
Police, Fire, and EMS personnel arrived at the scene and found the man suffering from burns to his face, hands, and respiratory system. The unidentified man was transported to Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Plymouth where he awaited the arrival of MedFlight.
Police say the explosion occurred when the man tried to douse a fire with what he thought was water, but was actually gasoline.
Police and Fire officials in Carver remind residents to keep gasoline away from heat, sparks, and flames. A spark or lit cigarette is enough to light gas fumes that linger on clothing. "If you are on fire," the Carver Police Department said on Facebook, "stop, drop, cover and roll."