The basement of a multifamily home in New Bedford suffered extensive damage following a Thursday morning fire.

District Fire Chief Joseph Gioiosa says the fire at 480 Coggeshall Street was reported at 7:21 a.m. and firefighters spent four hours on the scene before the fire was fully put out.

Gioiosa says the home's residents will not be able to return for the time being.

No injuries were reported.

Gioiosa says it's believed plastic inside the insulation around a flu pipe for a hot water heater ignited and caused wood to catch on fire which then spread to the rest of the basement.