More On Dartmouth Street Fire
Two people are rescued from a South End home following an early morning fire Saturday morning.
The fire to the two story woodframe building at 322 Dartmouth Street was reported just after four o'clock when a 9-year old occupant of the home was awakened by smoke alarms and called 9-1-1.
Fire Chief Michael Gomes said police were first to arrive on scene and found an unconscious woman in the stairwell leading to the 2nd floor. Police dragged the woman to safety and performed C-P-R. Gomes said firefighters then arrived on scene.
The man suffered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns to over 50-percent of his body. Both victims were taken to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment.
Seven people were in the home at the time of the fire. One police officer is being treated for smoke inhalation.
Damage to the house was primarily contained to a second floor bedroom.
Cause appears to be accidental, but Gomes said the investigation is ongoing.