New Bedford Parking Ban Takes Effect 3PM Saturday
The City of New Bedford has announced a citywide snow emergency parking ban to take effect tomorrow as of 3:00 P.M. on Saturday, February 15, 2014. The parking ban will remain in effect for 48-hours thereafter, unless lifted or further extended by City officials. The parking ban is designed to allow City workers to efficiently remove snow from New Bedford roadways to allow public safety vehicles and residents to travel safely.
While the snow emergency parking ban is in effect, parking is permitted on the side of the street that is opposite the fire hydrants. No vehicle should be parked on the same side of the street as a fire hydrant, except on streets that are regularly posted for parking on one side of the street only. In posted areas, residents are to obey the signs as usual.
The citywide parking ban will be double-sided in both the Acushnet Avenue Business District and the Downtown Business District. Downtown parking is available at no charge in the Elm Street and the Zeiterion Parking Garages.
Violations of this parking regulation will be subject to ticketing at $50 per ticket and towing at full cost to the owner of the vehicle towed. The vehicle owner is also responsible for the full cost of storage for any towed vehicle.
The City of New Bedford has designated the following areas as preferred parking areas for those residents in need of off-street parking while the emergency snow parking ban is in effect: .
- Victory Park - Brock Avenue
- Hazelwood Park - Brock Avenue
- Roosevelt Middle School - Brock Avenue and Dennis Street
- Cove Street Parking Lot - Cove Street and Morton Court
- Orchard Street at Camara Soccer Field
- Congdon School - Thompson and Hemlock Street
- Buttonwood Park Parking Area - Hawthorn Street Side and Lake Street Side
- Former St. Mary’s Home – Entrance on Mill Street
- Coggeshall Street Parking Lot - Coggeshall Street and Acushnet Avenue
- Sawyer Street Parking Lot - Between Sawyer Street and Beetle Street
- Brooklawn Park Parking Area - Brooklawn Street (South Side)
- Normandin Middle School - Tarkiln Hill Road
- Jireh Swift School - Tarkiln Hill Road
- Campbell School - Phillips Road
- Riverside Park Lot – Coffin Avenue
- Coffin Avenue Lot- Across from Taber Mills Apartments
- Alma del Mar Charter School (former Ottiwell School) - 26 Madeira Avenue
- Former AVX site on Bellville Avenue at Hadley Street
- Philips Avenue School – 249 Phillips Avenue
- DeValles School – 120 Katherine Street
- Parker School – 705 County Street
- Elm Street Garage
- Zeiterion Garage – 688 Purchase Street
(Provided by the City of New Bedford)