A two-alarm fire ripped through a tenament building early Thursday at 364 North Front Street, near Deane, causing extensive damage. 

The fire broke out around 1:30am, sending thick smoke throughout the area.

District Chief Robert Frates tells WBSM News, flames were visible on the east side of the building, and inside a first floor room.  He says the flames eventually spread to the roof....

Chief Frates says two adults and eight children were living in the building, and all escaped without injury.

Frates says firefighters also had to battle the extreme heat.  He says extra personnel was called in, so firefighters could rotate in and out of the building more quickly.  Frates says at one point, firefighters were lying on the street trying to stay cool.