NEW BEDFORD — The 23-year old woman arrested early Monday morning in connection to the stabbing death of a perceived homeless man in New Bedford was arraigned in Bristol County’s Third District Court on Monday.

Zaishary Gonzalez is being held without bail at the Bristol County House of Corrections until her pre-trial hearing on October 18. Gonzalez is held on charges of malicious destruction of a motor vehicle, witness intimidation, and murder.

According to court documents, the New Bedford Police Communications Division was informed of two people being stabbed near a car wash on 91 Nauset Street at around 9:30 p.m. on Monday. Further reports to the Communications Division stated that a Hispanic woman wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt had fled the scene after stabbing a man.

Witnesses at the scene stated that they saw the suspect known as “Sasha”, later identified as Gonzalez, initiate an argument with the victim, 45-year old Juan “Chichi” Ramon. They say that as the argument continued, Gonzalez began smashing the windows of Ramon’s vehicle with a rock. Witnesses also say that after shattering his cell phone on the ground, Gonzalez then took a steak knife and sliced the tires of his car.  She then approached Ramon with the knife and stabbed him in the chest before fleeing the scene.

Gonzalez also threatened another witness who attempted to stop her after the stabbing. The witness stated that when he approached her, Gonzalez allegedly told him “you’ll get it to”.

According to the arrest report from the New Bedford Police Department, Officer Henry Turgeon arrived at the scene and spoke with a male witness who said that “Chi Chi’s” girlfriend “Sasha” just killed him. The witness then described Gonzalez and informed Officer Turgeon that she lived in the Nashmont Housing Development.

Upon arriving at Nashmont, Turgeon says he was able to locate Gonzalez' apartment inside the housing property on Newcomb Street with the help of neighborhood residents.

When Turgeon and other officers arrived to the Newcomb Street residence, Gonzalez answered the door with a wet face and wet hair, and wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Gonzalez was then questioned by the officers and told them that she was having an argument on the phone with Ramon and hadn’t left her apartment “all night”. When asked about the argument, Gonzalez stated that Ramon was “mad that she had a new boyfriend”.

New Bedford Police placed Gonzalez under arrest shortly after questioning and took her current boyfriend, who was at the apartment when authorities arrived, to police headquarters to be questioned by detectives.

Juan Ramon was transported directly to St. Luke’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:14 p.m. from a stab wound to the left side of his chest.

Gonzalez will be back in court on October 18th for the pre-trial hearing and is being held without bail. Her defense attorney, Drew Segadallis, told WBSM News that more will come out in the October hearing.

“The 18th will be a big day because you’ll hear more of what occurred and witnesses statements,” Segadellis said.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420