Wareham House Fire Caused by Charging Hoverboard
WAREHAM — A house fire in Wareham early this morning in which a woman and her infant escaped out of a window was caused by a charging hoverboard, according to the fire department.
Just before 1 a.m. Saturday, Wareham fire crews received a 911 call reporting a house fire on Rose Point Avenue.
The caller said she was in the house with an infant and unable to get out, so the operator told her to climb out of a window with the baby.
Police and fire units arrived to find the woman and baby safely out of the house.
According to a release from the fire department, the woman had thrown pillows out of the first floor window, placed the infant on them, and then climbed out herself.
Both mother and baby have been taken to Tobey Hospital for evaluation.
Fire crews were able to contain the fire to the kitchen area.
An investigation revealed that the fire started where a hoverboard had been charging in the kitchen, according to the department.
The fire and smoke had cut off the woman's access to an exit, resulting in her use of the window.
Working smoke detectors alerted the residents to the emergency.
The house was damaged in the fire.
It is unclear if the family sustained any injuries or if they will be displaced.