FALL RIVER — A 23-year-old Brockton man and a 26-year-old Fall River man, who led police on a foot chase while armed with illegal firearms, were both sentenced to serve three years in state prison this week, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III announced.

Elijah Jones, 23, of Brockton, and Eric Jones, 26, of Fall River, pleaded guilty in Fall River Superior Court this week to charges of carrying an illegal firearm and unlawful possession of a loaded illegal firearm.

On July 7, 2017, two Fall River Police officers were on a plainclothes assignment in the area of the Maple Gardens housing development due to recent reports of shots fired in the area. At roughly 3:15 a.m., while operating an unmarked police cruiser, the officers encountered a vehicle traveling on Plymouth Avenue and followed it for a period of time.

While in the area of Dwelly Street, officers noted that one of the parties in the vehicle threw a Hennessey liquor bottle out of the window and into the street. As the officers continued monitoring the vehicle, they observed its occupants to now be paying particular attention to their cruiser.

Once the parties reached Crawford Street, the suspect vehicle pulled over, and the officers passed them. As this was happening, the rear driver’s side occupant of the vehicle stuck his torso out of the window and stared at the officers. This male was later identified as Elijah Jones.

At that point, the officers turned around on Crawford Street. As they did this, the two male parties exited the vehicle. Elijah Jones was now in the street headed toward the officers with his hand in his waistband, and the other male, later identified as Eric Jones, was crouched down with a firearm visible in his hand approaching them from the sidewalk. Both officers drew their firearms in response. As the officers shouted verbal commands, both defendants fled down Crawford Street.

The officers were able to catch up with and apprehend Elijah Jones. Once handcuffed, Elijah Jones stood up and attempted to flee, but was once again stopped. Officers located a loaded Sig Sauer .280 handgun on Larouche Street where the parties initially split up.

When Elijah Jones was brought to the police station for booking, he damaged the sprinkler system, flooding his cell, and smeared food on the walls and door of that cell.

On July 11, 2018, Eric Jones was arrested on an unrelated matter, and while at the station was recognized by police as the second male involved. That same day, officers located a second firearm on the roof of a Larouche Street garage. That firearm was a loaded S&W .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Michael Cahillane, and the state prison sentence was imposed by Judge Renee Dupuis. The defendants were also placed on probation for an additional two years.

“During a dangerous street encounter with plainclothes detectives, the defendants fled and each discarded a loaded firearm while running away,” District Attorney Quinn said. “Nothing good will come from the defendants roaming around the city with loaded guns. For the safety of the police and the public, they need to be kept off the streets.”

--Bristol County District Attorney's Office

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420