Northeast Governors Shut Down Interstate Youth Hockey
Governors from six New England states and New Jersey today announced a suspension of all interstate youth hockey activities until at least the end of 2020 as COVID-19 numbers continue to grow across the Northeast region.
Today's joint announcement was made by Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy, Maine Governor Janet Mills, Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo, New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu, Vermont Governor Phil Scott, and Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont.
The joint decision was made "in response to recent coronavirus outbreaks associated with the conduct of interstate youth hockey activities," a media release said.
Interstate competitions for public schools, private schools, and youth hockey will be suspended as of Saturday, November 14 and the suspension will continue through December 31 at a minimum. The prohibition will not impact interstate collegiate, professional, or U.S. national team hockey activities. Those activities will continue subject to existing health and safety protocols and restrictions.
"As case numbers increase in many states across the country, it is critical that neighboring states coordinate a regional approach to limit further community spread of the virus," the release said. "As public health data continues to evolve, the states will reassess the need for continued restrictions on interstate sports activities."
Last month, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health closed all indoor ice rinks for two weeks after COVID-19 clusters associated with organized ice hockey activities emerged in dozens of communities.
COVID-19 cases continue their upward trend across the country, and Massachusetts on Wednesday reported nearly 2,500 new cases.