New Bedford-Fairhaven Bridge Closing for Ten Days this Month
NEW BEDFORD - The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing it will be closing the New Bedford-Fairhaven Route 6 Swing Bridge to vehicular traffic from Friday April 20, 2018 at 8:00 PM until Monday April 30, 2018 at 6:00 AM. The bridge closure is necessary to perform numerous permanent repairs, including structural, substructure, and mechanical repairs to the bridge. In order to gain access to the repair areas, the bridge is required to be in the fully open position (open for boat traffic, closed for vehicles) due to the areas being obstructed by machinery components or the structure itself while in the closed position.
A traffic detour with signs and message boards will be installed to notify and direct traffic around the bridge closure. Variable Message Boards advising the closure will be in place Friday April 6th. Access to local businesses will be maintained during all times of the bridge closure. Detour signs will be in place; with assistance from police details. The Route 6 detours are as follows:
Traveling East on Route 6 toward Fairhaven:
• Follow Route 6 Detour signage and take a left onto Pleasant Street;
• Take a right onto Hillman Street;
• Take a left onto the Route 18 North ramp;
• Follow Route 18 North to I-195 Eastbound;
• Take Exit 18 – Route 240 South/Fairhaven;
• Follow Route 240 South to Route 6.
Traveling West on Route 6 toward New Bedford:
• Follow Route 6 Detour signage and take a right onto Main Street;
• Take a left onto Howland Road and continue onto Coggeshall Street in New Bedford;
• Take a left onto Ashley Boulevard/Route 18 South;
• Follow Route 18 South to Route 6.
MassDOT advises motorists to expect delays and seek alternate routes during these times. The schedule for this work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.
-Massachusetts Department of Transportation