NB Firefighters Busy Sunday Night
New Bedford firefighters quickly doused two fires Sunday night.
The first happened in an apartment house at 156 Chestnut Street. Fire Chief Michael Gomes says the fire ignited in a kitchen and caused an estimated $35,000 damage. Gomes says the fire was pretty much contained to that apartment. Two occupants were displaced and were aided by the Red Cross. No one was injured.
The second fire was less serious. A small basement fire broke out in a building on Foster Street. Gomes says a "sump pump" overheated and the fire was quickly put out.