Fall in Love with These Date Ideas
Tuesday, September 23 officially marks the first day of fall with the Autumnal Equinox. Cue the pumpkin spiced lattes and tall boots! Some people, like myself, are slow to embrace the change. We are hesitant to accept the crisp air and the shorter days. However, I can admit there are some benefits to the season, including these classic date ideas from New England Fall Events!
1. Pumpkin / Apple Picking - Brace yourself for the endless Instagram pics of your pals posing with these classic fall staples. You can hate on it all you want, but it’s actually a lot of fun and it’s an inexpensive way to spend some quality time with your significant other. Not to mention there are a number of recipes you can make with the products you pick out yourself! (Excuse me while I browse Pinterest for the next two months).
2. Hayrides - Sometimes this comes with the apple / pumpkin picking package, but a fun fall experience in itself. I personally love hayrides and plan on going ASAP! An old-fashioned hayride is taking in the scenery at a farm with the foliage, the crisp air and the bouncing off all the bumps along the way. It’s definitely an experience worth sharing!
3. Bake Some Goods - As previously mentioned, there are some delicious treats to indulge in this season. Why not make a date of it then? Grab your #1 cooking partner and the apples you picked fresh from the vine for a scrumptious pie that everyone will love. Or maybe you’re really into that pumpkin spice trend that starts in August and ends in January (to each his own). My sister LOVES those pumpkin muffins with the cream cheese icing. Pair that with a pumpkin spiced latte and you have yourself one warm and cozy girl.
4. Carve a Pumpkin or Two - Now that you’ve picked your pumpkin and gutted it out for its delicious seeds and coveted flavoring, you’re left with a shell. Why not host a carving party with your best pals and SO? It could be as low-key or high-maintenance as you want. If you feel like just carving a ghost into your vegetable and leaving, fine. But if you want to go all out and offer prizes to the creepiest or funniest sketch, you could spark some friendly competition. Create teams, and make bets. Win some brownie points with your girl by commemorating your relationship in the form of a jack-o-lantern. Sky’s the limit!
5. Go Team! - While I am no sports fan by any means, I must admit that I actually like going to football games. There’s something about the hyped-up atmosphere and seeing your whole town come out to cheer on your team. I went to my very first Patriot’s game last year and I cannot think of a single complaint I had about the entire experience (parking lot traffic is the nature of the beast). Sure, the tickets can be pricey, but think of it as a once-a-year treat that the two of you can enjoy together!
6. Children of the Corn - I’m not talking about scaring the bejeezus out of your date with a scary movie (although that could stimulate cuddling activity, if desired). I’m simply offering the idea of a corn maze as a date. Get lost in corn stalks higher than your head, and see if you can work together to get out of that tangled mess! Sources tell me that you should invest in a map!
7. Change of Scenery - Sometimes you just need to take a walk and smell the decaying leaves, you know? Find a path near you and stroll hand-in-hand with your SO. Enjoy the warm colors and the cool air. I strongly suggest you take your allergy medication before participating in this nature hike, though.
8. Autumn Fest - Since I am a recent graduate from Bridgewater State, I would be remiss if I did not mention our quintessential fall event. Luckily, it is taking place on campus THIS SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, FROM 10-4. Admission is FREE to enter the Boyden Hall quad for music and food from local eateries. Certain activities will cost money to take part in, but enjoy the day to do as much or as little as you’d like!