NEW BEDFORD - Employees at Crystal Ice along New Bedford's waterfront have been evacuated following a hazardous materials situation.

At around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, New Bedford Fire and EMS crews were called to Crystal Ice Company at 178 Front Street for an ammonia leak.

New Bedford District Fire Chief James Fortin tells WBSM News the leak developed as an an electrician was working on a machine in the building.

"He exited the building without injury and shut down electricity to the building," said Fortin. "When that happened, the ammonia just free-flowed within the building without a way to shut it down, unless it was manually shut down at that machine."

A Hazmat response team from the Department of Fire Services is working to stop the leak and clean up any escaped ammonia.

No injuries have been reported.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420