Travelers to Massachusetts from 43 states, including people returning home from those states, are instructed to self-quarantine for 14 days to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

Governor Charlie Baker made the announcement today while speaking to reporters at the State House in Boston. The new COVID-19 guidelines go into effect Wednesday, July 1. The guidance lifts previous recommendations to travelers from Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New York and New Jersey.

"These surrounding states, like Massachusetts, are seeing a significant decline in cases and hospitalizations," Baker said.

Workers designated by the federal government as essential critical infrastructure workers are exempt from the directive. Travelers who are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 are instructed not to travel to Massachusetts at all, Baker said.

The announcement comes as COVID-19 cases spike in states such as Florida and Texas. “As we have all seen, several other states are seeing a sharp increase in new cases and hospitalizations, which is a very real reminder to all of us about how just contagious this virus can be,” Baker said.

The news also comes one day after Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo announced a mandatory 14-day quarantine for anyone coming to Rhode Island from a state with a 5 percent or greater positive test rate.

Baker reminded Massachusetts residents that the use of masks or face coverings in public places where individuals cannot socially distance remains required. The new guidelines replace previously announced Massachusetts travel guidance. For national travel information, please visit www.travel.state.gov

Enter your number to get our free mobile app